Monday 14 September 2015

A lot of "carbon captured" in our timber Frames and trusses... not sure it makes up for the all steel and concrete.

"Carbon capture" is my after-the-fact justification for having timber frames, the cheapest option... Steel frames were a premium, and I felt that the cost-benefit was not in steel's favour.

First floor



I was wrong about the frames delivered earlier.  All those frames were for the first floor.  The blue wood indicates that it is treated pine.  I think it is coloured blue to make it easier to distinguish it from untreated wood.


They have used a long, thick LVL beam above the garage door.  There are steel beams that actually hold the second floor above the garage.  The LVL would only be to hold up the little roof over the garage door.  Peering through to the back, it seems LVL is used for some of the longer lintel spans as well.

Second Floor

They actually spent two full days on the first floor.  At the end of the second I drove past and a "Buildsafe" guy was fixing a safety barrier for the second floor.  Didn't want to make him uncomfortable by taking a photo of him.  This photo is on the afternoon of the day after.  Safety barrier in place and some second floor frames up.



Floor trusses vs I-Joists

They've used a combination of "posi-joist/spacejoist" trusses and regular nail boarded timber trusses for the first floor sub floor.  When I was looking at owner building, I-joists seemed to be the choice for floor joists and rafters.  My friends recent renovation had used I-Joists.  So why has Coral used trusses?  Google says, I-joists are better for designs that need to be "customised" on site but not so good for running services through.  Floor trusses are better for running services through but are difficult to correct if they are the wrong size.  Coral homes builds a lot of this design, so  as long as the slab is the right size, there is no need for on-site customization.

Roof trusses

Two days of second floor work and some (not all) of the roof trusses are on. 




The next day they are finished the trusses and the "Buildsafe" barriers have been replaced with some new ones for the roof.  I waited until the Buildsafe guys left, and light is not so good this late in the afternoon.



I haven't seen any cranes on site.  There is no brightly coloured tape on the overhead power line for the crane operator to avoid.  Maybe they didn't need one.  The "pay up" email will be coming soon.